Singapore based Cannes Award winning director Melvin Mak is a versatile director well known for his compelling, storytelling and performance based abilities. With great talent as a director of comedy and talent performance, balanced by his skills in visualising, Melvin possesses that rare ability to draw audiences into an emotional connection with his characters. He has shown himself to be a master at creating stylish, witty commercials and short films with great cinematic production values. Melvin has worked on film sets since the age of 15. He became a commercial director at the age of 20 after winning the Best Director and Best Film in the Singapore Video Competition. From then on he has gone on to directing commercials in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and China.
Through the years, he has worked with some of Asia most famous celebrities：Jacky Chan (成龙), Huang Xiao Ming (黄晓明), Louis Khoo (古天乐), Yao Ming (姚明), Yang Yang (杨洋), Wong Cho Lam (王祖蓝), Jerry Lee (李晨), Chiling Lin (林志玲), Zanilia Zhao (赵丽颖), Michelle Chen (陈妍希), Zheng Shuang (郑爽), Crystal Zhang (张天爱), Ada Choi (蔡少芬).
Melvin was also tasked to direct the music video for the Official Theme Song of the first Youth Olympic Games in Singapore. An inspirational piece which was screened worldwide, the music video was shot with 5 international artists including Sean Kingston from the United States.
In 2016, Melvin had the opportunity to direct a mini film in collaboration with acclaimed Hong Kong director Peter Chan (陈可辛) and the writers of Golden Horse nominated film “Soul Mate” (七月与安生). The mini film starred China’s hottest idols 杨洋 and 郑爽 and was a tremendous success with over a hundred million viewers in China alone.
Due to the overwhelming success of the first film, he is set to direct the Second film working with Hong Kong veteran filmmaker Jo Jo Hui (许月珍) and renowned novelist Mandy Yiu (林咏琛).
Melvin Mak’s 导演简历
Melvin Mak, 一位荣获戛纳影展的新加坡全才导演, 从他的作品中可以看出绝佳的说故事能力以及导戏功力，尤其喜剧类以及戏剧类。特别的是，他能平衡以视觉，巧妙地将观众深深吸引进画面的美感里并情不自禁的让人将情感带入角色的情境中，所以在他的广告以及短片作品中可见浓浓的电影色彩。
15岁进入电影行业，在赢得“新加坡视觉大赛”（Singapore Video Competition）的最佳導演之后，20岁正式开始導演生涯，足迹遍布亚洲，活跃在中国，新加坡，泰国，马来西亚，及印尼等地。
- Gold Award at China Great Wall Advertising 2011
- Two Silver Awards at China Great Wall Advertising 2011
- Gold Award at ROI Festival 2011
- Three Silver Awards at ROI Festival 2011
- Spike Media Asia Grand Prix 2009
- Finalist at Cannes International Advertising Festival 2009
- Asia Pacific Effie Gold Awards 2008
- Silver Award at Singapore Creative Circle Awards 2008
- Silver Award at China Great Wall Advertising 2007
- Bronze Award at Phoenix Awards 2007
- Best Director Award at Apollo Awards 2006
- Best Television Commercial at Apollo Awards 2006
- Bronze Award at Singapore Creative Circle Awards 2006
- Sliver Lion Award at Cannes International Advertising Festival 2005
- Two Silver Awards at Singapore Creative Circle Awards 2005
- Bronze Award at Thailand ADFEST 2005
- Bronze Award at Malaysia MC2 2005
- Finalist in The One Show 2005
- Finalist in Clio Award 2005